This summer, ChicaGO REACH Gospel Workshops are continuing with online learning through its Summer Gospel Popshops, which will feature amazing young and legendary instructors/mentors.
Here are some of the highlights:
– Sopranos Monica Perdue and Felicia Coleman-Evans will do vocal coaching, and Felicia will speak about the music of Fellowship “The Ship” Church Chicago, alongside Fellowship’s longtime music minister, Dr. Lou Della Evans-Reid.
– Young historian and editor of The Coffee Table Talk gospel magazine Eric Maurice Clark will lead sessions on “Recurring Themes and Meanings Behind Gospel Lyrics” and share gospel quartet gems.
– Karen Burke, co-founder and director of the Toronto Mass Choir, will speaking about her calling into music ministry and experiences/best practices in teaching gospel music to integrated choirs.
– Singer/songwriter Olaolu Lawal of Nigeria will share original gospel tunes and traditional Yoruba church songs.
– Lonnie Norwood Jr. will teach the songs of hymn choir/praise band traditions from the South, rare Civil Rights Freedom Songs adapted from the Black church, and the compositions of pioneering women composers of gospel music, with a special focus on Lucie Campbell, Roberta Martin, Doris Akers, and Dr. Mattie Moss Clark.
For more information and to register, visit: https://www.lonnienorwood.com/chigoreachpopshops.